The St. Iakovos Retreat Center is looking for a full time Program Director to create, staff, fill, and execute programs that will run out of the Center. This position requires knowledge and practical application of Orthodox Theology, as well as experience in writing and directing various types of orthodox programs for all ages. The programs will be targeted to Orthodox Christians living in the Midwest, with the intention of encouraging them to share in fun and fellowship while growing in their faith. The Program Director is a part of the overall team of the St. Iakovos Retreat Center, which operates with the Blessing of the Metropolis of Chicago. The Program Director is responsible for communication with the Metropolis, on behalf of the Retreat Center, and is required to obtain authorization for the programs and ministry they are directing.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Creating unique and dynamic programs that are faith based, well organized, and efficiently executed.
- Visits and communications with Metropolis parishes, and other Orthodox Jurisdictional parishes required, in order to promote, create interest and fill programs.
- Creation of marketing and communication materials to effectively promote programs.
- Regular web, social media and print postings, regarding upcoming and past programs.
- Management of registration and financials for programs, including applying for grants to supplement program ministries.
- Communications with St. Iakovos team regarding meals, lodging and meeting facilities for programs.
- Creation and management of database for program participants and speakers.
- Creation and management of email listserve for future programs and Retreat Center Communications.
- Coordination with the St. Iakovos Retreat Center Program Board Committee and Director regarding program dates, program content, materials, speakers and financials.
- The program director will be required to staff all programs and provide staff training, mentorship, and guidance to program staff and when necessary, Retreat Center staff.
- Other duties as assigned by the St. Iakovos Retreat Center Programs Board Committee and/or Director, including working with the Development team to secure overall donations and funding.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Efficient knowledge of Eastern Orthodox Theology. Ability to apply Orthodox Theology in a practical way to create programs centered on aiding participants to grow in faith. Knowledge and ability to use various web platforms, online databases and registration program (CampDocs, Thriva, Sugar, ETC). Knowledge and skills in various publishing programs. Problem solving, multi tasking, organization with attention to details skills. Ability to publicly speak, and strong communication skills (verbal, listening and written).
- Competencies: Competency is using scripture, Church Fathers and Orthodox Theologians. Ability to work independently and as a part of a team. Meeting established deadlines in a fast paced environment; employing strategic thinking and planning. Having a sensitivity to Church and cultures. Being people oriented, having a positive attitude while building and maintaining relationships with participants, speakers and parish communities.
- Education: Bachelor degree required. Graduate degree in theology (Masters of Divinity or equivalent), preferred.
- Experience: 3 5 years’ experience working in a Church and/or Non profit setting. Previous experience creating and executing various types of programming with positive results. Background in camping or retreat center ministries is a plus.
- Other: The Program director can expect to a minimum of 40 hours per week from home, the Metropolis and the Retreat Center. This position requires travel and the ability to work weekends and holidays is a necessity. Candidates must have their own vehicle, car insurance, and a valid driver’s license. Reimbursement for gas and miles will be provided.