ST SPYRIDON GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH OFFERS OPPORTUNITY TO VENERATE THE RIGHT HAND OF ST SPYRIDON
In Celebration of 100th Anniversary St Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church in Palos Heights welcomes His Eminence Metropolitan Nektarios of Kerkyra
PALOS HEIGHTS, IL: St Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church in Palos Heights, Illinois, in celebration of the 100th Anniversary welcomed the Right Hand of St Spyridon accompanied by His Eminence Metropolitan Nektarios of Kerkyra. An over capacity crowd of over 650 parishioners gathered Sunday morning for the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy officiated by His Eminence Metropolitan Nektarios and included several past and present clergy members.
Since 1917, the community of St Spyridon has been welcoming Orthodox Christians in worship and fellowship. A parish of 350 families, St Spyridon serves the Orthodox community of Chicago's south suburbs with a full liturgical and community life. St Spyridon contains some of the finest Byzantine iconography and architecture in our Archdiocese.
The Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago itself traces its explicit roots to 1923, when Rt. Rev. Philaretos Johannides became the city’s first Greek Orthodox bishop. This Episcopal ministry has culminated in the singular dedication of Chicago’s Metropolitan Iakovos of Blessed Memory, who has tirelessly ministered in the nation’s “Second City” for twenty-four years. A studied and accomplished liturgist, Athens-born Metropolitan Iakovos has made a profound imprint upon the character of the Midwest’s Greek Orthodox communities. The majority of Metropolis parishes are concentrated in the Chicago metropolitan area, where immigrants arrived as early as the 19th century. The Metropolis of Chicago consists of thirty-four parishes in Illinois, with another twenty-four parishes in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, northern Indiana, and eastern and central Missouri. The general offices of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago are located in Chicago, Illinois.